How can you make your body work better?
One way is to eat a healthy whole food diet. Eating well is simple in theory but tougher in practice. Even the super health-conscious among us can’t always avoid processed foods, added sugars, and unhealthy fats.
That’s where Catalyn comes in.
Catalyn’s unique formulation was created to combat deficiencies in nutrition caused by a refined food diet, deficiencies many of us have. Discover the power of nutrients delivered the way nature intended – in whole food form.
How Catalyn keeps you healthy
- Maintains cellular health
- Keeps your skin healthy
- Keeps your heart healthy
- Supports healthy metabolism
Catalyn was developed in 1929 by Dr. Royal Lee, the founder of Standard Process. It was America’s first dietary supplement made with whole food ingredients, created to address the deficiencies caused by a fast-growing processed food industry. It contains several vitamins and minerals from approximately 15 different whole food sources.
Some Catalyn ingredients include:
- Sweet potato
- Reishi mushroom
- Shiitake mushroom
- Nutritional yeast
- Pea vine
Supplement Safety 101
Supplements vary greatly in quality, which can sometimes do more harm than good. The FDA is not authorized to review dietary supplement products for safety and effectiveness before they are marketed. Manufacturers do not need to be 100% honest on the label. Here are some quotes directly from the FDA about supplements:
- Federal law does not require dietary supplements to be proven safe to FDA’s satisfaction before they are marketed.
- For most claims made in the labeling of dietary supplements, the law does not require the manufacturer or seller to prove to FDA’s satisfaction that the claim is accurate or truthful before it appears on the product.
- Do not assume that the term “natural” in relation to a product ensures that the product is wholesome or safe.
At the Natural Health Improvement Center, we only carry the highest quality supplements available to ensure that your body is getting the purest vitamins and minerals.
If you would like to learn more about how natural whole food supplements can help your body get healthy and stay healthy, give us a call @ 410-717-6610 for a free 15 minute phone consultation.
What causes knee pain?
There is no single cause for painful knee joints, but there are generally 2 types of contributing factors:
- Traumatic injuries usually happen suddenly and with great force. Examples include falling hard on the knee join, or being stuck on or near the knee.
- Chronic injuries develop over a longer period of time, and are often the result of repeated stress to the knee. This stress can cause the knee joints to move out of normal alignment; in some cases, your kneecaps may either be closer to each other or farther apart than they should be.
Other possible reasons for chronic injuries may include: obesity, ligament weakness, not having enough protection from heel-strike shock, foot/ankle problems, improper exercise or lifting techniques, etc. Organic conditions would include infections and tumors. Your doctor will give you a thorough examination which may include range of motion (ROM) and orthopedic testing – to search for possible alignment/tracking problems, and to test for signs of muscle or ligament weakness to help determine the cause of your knee pain.
What are some of the causes of knee alignment problems?
The knee is actually made up of 2 joints involving 3 bones. As a hinge joint, the healthy knee bends in 1 plane of motion much more than it rotates, although some rotation is involved during the gait (walking) cycle. In a normal posture, the kneecaps point straight ahead over the feet. This is the knee posture, which gives the most support to the hips and spine.
Problems occur when a knee becomes misaligned. A cause for this misalignment can start in the foot or ankle. If 1 or both feet has a structural problem (e.g., flat feet, high arch, weak ankles), this condition can cause the leg to rotate improperly and apply tension to the knee. As knee muscles and ligaments weaken, the joint may begin to move out of its proper position. These imbalances have a potential ripple effect, which can affect the hips, low back and neck. That’s why you’ll often encounter someone whose back started hurting after he or she began having knee problems.
How can my healthcare professional help me to get better?
Again, depending on the diagnosis of your condition, your healthcare professional has treatment programs to help restore your knees to normal function. Along with any determination of the need for rest or other therapies (ice, ultrasound etc.), a 3-step program is often indicated:
- Manipulation (adjustment) of the joint for proper alignment
- Exercise to build muscle strength and joint stability
- Use of functional orthotics to help reduce excessive internal and external rotation, and to help absorb heel-strike shock
Developing knee muscles helps to stabilize the joint and to prevent further serious injury. Your doctor may prescribe therapeutic exercises to help you rebuild strength in the knee area. Often these exercises can be done either in your healthcare professional’s office or in your own home.
Balanced support, stability and proper movement are the keys to a healthy knee structure. Ask your healthcare professional if functional orthotics or therapeutic exercises would help you.
Take the Test
- Do you stand or walk on hard surfaces for more than 4 hours daily?
- Do you participate regularly in any physical sport (basketball, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, etc)?
- Are you age 40 or over?
- Have you had a prior injury to your knee, back or neck?
- Do your shoes wear unevenly?
- Do you have joint pain while standing, walking or running?
- Is one of your legs shorter than the other?
- Do you have knock-knees or bow legs?
- Do you have obvious foot problems (bunions, corns, flat feet, etc)?
- Do your feet “toe out” when your’e walking?
If you checked yes on any of the above, you may want to visit a chiropractor!
Give us a call to schedule an appointment @ 410-717-6610
More than 100 million Americans have digestive problems including issues like irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, reflux, gas etc. Most of us (including most traditional doctors) do not recognize or know that digestive problems wreak havoc in the entire body, playing a part in allergies, arthritis, autoimmune disease, rashes, acne, chronic fatigue, mood disorders, autism, dementia, cancer, and more.
The health of your gut determines what nutrients are absorbed and what toxins, allergens, and microbes are kept out. It is directly linked to the health of your whole body. Intestinal health could be defined as the optimal digestion, absorption, and assimilation of food.
Acid Reflux & GERD
Acid reflux is the backward flow of stomach acid into the esophagus — the tube that connects the throat and stomach. During an episode of acid reflux, you may taste regurgitated food or sour liquid at the back of your mouth or feel a burning sensation in your chest (heartburn). Sometimes acid reflux progresses to GERD, a more severe form of reflux. The most common symptom of GERD is frequent heartburn.
The most popular medical solution for acid reflux is taking antacids, which disrupt the natural stomach acid needed to digest properly, absorb vitamins and minerals, and keep harmful overgrowth of bacteria in check.
What causes acid reflux:
- Eating too late at night
- Spicy foods
- Hiatal hernia
- Lack of exercise
- Food sensitivities
- Add 1tsp raw apple cider vinegar (with “the mother”) to water, tea or smoothie in the morning. This will help boost the immune system, aid digestion, and decrease the number of bad gut bacteria that cause acid reflux.
- Fennel seeds can help relax the stomach. Try steeping some crushed fennel seeds in boiling water to make a tea and sip it after a meal.
- Aloe vera is a natural anti-inflammatory that can soothe an inflamed esophagus and stomach lining. Mix & drink 2oz aloe with 8oz of coconut water 15 minutes before eating.
- Ginger is great for digestion and nausea. Try drinking some ginger tea whenever acid reflux strikes.
- Peppermint is great for an upset stomach and all digestive disorders.
- Sleeping in a more upright position and not eating 2 hours before bed.
- Eat smaller meals.
The rise of autoimmune-related diseases can be attributed to a lot of factors, including the use of pesticides, toxins in our air and water, overuse of medications, chronic viral infections, mold exposure, chronic stress, and genetics, but the most important factor in the standard American diet (SAD). High in fast foods, carbohydrates, and genetically modified ingredients and low in fiber, vegetables, and antioxidants, the SAD isn’t doing us any favors when it comes to our weight, inflammation levels, or the health of our gut.
The gut is known as our second brain, and when the permeability of the gut lining has been altered, this allows toxins, bacteria, and foreign substances like food and antigens to enter the blood stream, causing something called “leaky gut.”
Leaky gut symptoms:
- Chronic diarrhea, constipation, gas or bloating
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Poor immune system
- Headaches, brain fog, memory loss
- Excessive fatigue
- Skin rashes and problems like acne, eczema or rosacea
- Cravings for sugar and carbs
- Arthritis or joint pain
- Depression, anxiety, ADD/ADHD
- Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, celiac disease or Chron’s
How to heal:
- Healthy diet & eliminate foods that cause inflammation or trigger allergies/sensitives.
- Avoid over-the-counter nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil, Aleve, Motrin etc.
- Avoid OTC acid reflux products like Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids etc.
- Avoid excessive & unnecessary antibiotic use.
- Getting enough probiotic foods like miso, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, kombucha & yogurt.
- Bone broth: the lysine, glycine, and collagen in bone broth all help repair the gut lining, which will improve the immune system over time.
Candida & Yeast Overgrowth
Candida is a yeast, a very small amount of which lives in your mouth and intestines. Its job is to aid with digestion and nutrient absorption, but when it is overproduced it can lead to many different health problems. The healthy or “good” bacteria in your gut typically keeps your candida levels in check, however these following factors can cause candida to get out of hand:
- High carb diets
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Fermented foods
- Chronic stress
- Autoimmune diseases treated with immunosuppressants
Once candida has penetrated your intestinal lining and caused “leaky gut”, undigested food particles, toxins, viruses and bacteria can pass through your intestinal wall into your bloodstream. This triggers an inflammatory response from your immune system to try to fight off the “invaders”. Your immune system will continue to send out “invaders”, soon becoming stressed, weakened, confused, and less accurate.
Common candida symptoms:
- Skin and nail fungal infections like athlete’s foot, ringworm and toenail fungus
- Chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
- Digestive issues like bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, brain fog
- Skin issues like eczema, psoriasis, hives and rashes
- Irritability, mood swings, anxiety or depression
- Vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal or vaginal itching
- Severe seasonal allergies
- Strong sugar and carb cravings
How to stop the overgrowth:
- Remove all foods that feed the candida including sugar, alcohol, and limiting carbs like fruit, starchy vegetables, grains and legumes
- Taking whole food supplements
- Repopulate your gut with good bacteria
Do you or someone you know suffer from digestive problems? Give us a call at 410-717-6610 to set up a free 15 minute phone consultation!
What is Nutrition Response Testing?
Nutrition Response Testing is a non-invasive system of analyzing the body to determine the underlying causes of ill or non-optimum health. Our clinically proven system may be quite different from any other healing practice that you may have experienced. We will have some questions for you before and during the testing. The actual procedure is simple and direct, with the body providing all of the information and feedback needed. We use the extraordinary properties of the human cells and tissues to bring about healing and health changes, exactly as nature intended.
The body responds to the procedure reliably and consistently. This feedback is so precise that it opens the door to a safe and lasting recovery, even in cases where everything else has failed.
Who do we help?
If you are like other people who come to us for help, then most likely:
- You may have one or more health conditions that won’t go away
- You have visited doctors, or even alternative practitioners, but the results weren’t what you hoped or expected
- Health conditions are significantly affecting your life. Perhaps this also affects your career, family and/or personal finances
- You realize that these conditions are probably not going to get better unless the real source of the problem is found and corrected
What are we testing for?
Through our analysis, we are testing your body’s neurological reflexes. These reflexes are the body’s way of telling us what and how your nervous system is doing – as it is the nervous system’s responsibility to regulate the body’s functions for each and every organ. The testing includes organs, glands, joints, muscles, etc.These reflexes are tested on the surface of the body and then the findings are analyzed.
How do we get the body’s “reflex” information?
Energy flows exist between all parts and organs of the body. These flows can become disrupted for a variety of reasons. This disruption is easily discovered with our testing. As a Nutrition Response Testing practitioner, we will do a full body scan to properly assess each of your reflexes. The practitioner will do the analysis by contacting your extended arm with one hand, and contact the specific reflex area with the other hand. If the tested reflex is stressed, your nervous system will respond by reducing energy to the extended arm (which will weaken and cause it to drop). A drop in the arm indicates underlying stress or dysfunction in that area which can be affecting your health
Once the underlying stress is corrected, this weak muscle response will no longer occur. Since we directly use the body for analysis (versus doing lab tests) it is faster and tends to be just as (if not more) accurate. There are also no huge expensive machines, no drugs, surgery, nasty needles or laboratory fees to cover. Following your consultation you will be given the results in a way that you can understand, with a specific nutritional program to follow.
How soon will I see improvement?
Although every case is different, we often hear enthusiastic reports from patients in as little as 4-6 weeks. The fastest recoveries are often from those who have most closely adhered to their recommended nutritional program.
Is it important to stick to the plan?
Generally chronic health problems do not suddenly develop overnight. They develop over a long period of time (often years) with improper diet (which cause nutritional deficiencies and imbalances) and environmental influences. All of which have gotten you into your current health condition.
Therefore, the sooner and more thoroughly you implement your program, the sooner you will start to see results. While on your program, if you continue those same old habits and routines that contributed to your current condition, your body’s condition may not improve as you hope. Total commitment to your program is strongly urged.
What are my chances for recovery?
Our long-term experience in a wide variety of cases tells us the first thing we must determine is whether or not you are a “Nutrition Response Testing Case”. If someone is NOT, then it is unlikely that Nutrition Response Testing will ever help you. However if you ARE, then in our experience, it is our belief that nothing else will help you as much.
What happens next?
While you are on your own designed clinical nutrition program, you will continue on your health recovery process. We will continue to monitor your progress and adjust your program as needed when additional layers show up. This procedure will assist you in attaining the maximum possible health benefits and get the real underlying health issues handled.
Information brought to you by Ulan Nutritional Systems
Do you or someone you know suffer from chronic health conditions & don’t seem to improve? Give us a call @ 410-717-6610.
The strength and health of your body is determined by how fully your life force is expressed in every cell. Your brain and nervous system control and regulate every cell of your body. Simply put, when your nervous system doesn’t work well, your body doesn’t work well either.
NeuroCranial Integration (NCI) relieves pressure in the brain and nervous system caused by illness, injury and daily stress, allowing your body to function at a higher level of efficiency. It not only gently removes tension from the nervous system, releasing restrictions throughout all the tissues and organs of the body; it also returns proper cerebrospinal fluid flow to the spinal cord and to the entire body, improving almost every function of the body.
How is NeuroCranial Integration different than typical alternative treatments?
NCI is a able to affect the brain, the spine and the entire nervous system in a way that is simply not accessible through regular healthcare techniques or modalities. Although other systems of care may also affect the cranium, none reaches the deepest level of the dura mater as precisely as NCI. The dura mater is a tough, protective covering around the brain and spinal cord. Its job is so important that it extends down the spine and throughout the entire nervous system.
How does treating the brain and nervous system affect the rest of my body?
According to Gray’s Anatomy: “The brain and the nervous system controls and coordinates all the functions of the body and relates it to its environment…”
NeuroCranial Integration directly affects the proper functioning of the central nervous system inside the brain, because NCI allows the left and right brain hemispheres (and other areas of the brain) to profoundly re-balance and reintegrate. It is so gentle, it can be safely performed of patients of any age, from infants to the elderly.
How does the brain affect my neck or back pain?
Because the dura is attached to the skull, as well as the spine’s top two neck vertebrae, and extends all the way down to the tailbone, the dura must be balanced from the top to bottom for optimal functioning. Any misalignments or distortions (twisting) of the skull, the spine and the entire body. Sooner or later, these distortions result in health consequences, including neck and back pain.
What can NCI help with?
- Headaches & migraines
- Cerebral Palsy
- ADHD and autism
- Mild traumatic brain injuries, strokes and multiple sclerosis
- Back & neck pain along with other acute conditions
- Improve sports performance